Friday, September 2, 2011

Upcycle: Bike Light

I was looking for something cool to really set off this Zissou bike restoration. It needed to be old school and just plain awesome; so I searched eBay for some old bike lights, the old dynamo kits from the 1970's. Unfortunately most of these are pretty beat up, incomplete, and pricey. I decided to look for an alternative. I thought those cool old school flashlights, the silvery Art Deco style ones might be an option and I happened across this beauty. It's a Lightmaster Searchlight lantern from the 1930's. 


The pictures looked really good and it was only $20 (including shipping, those old batteries are hefty.) Last night I took the old battery cells out, dropped in a new 6 volt lantern battery, and hacked/modded a light bulb to run in it. I was able to completely update it without destroying any of the old parts. I used electrical tape instead of soldering wires so that way it can be reversed back to it's original state at any time.

 

It works great now! I can't wait to put it on the finished bike. One more part of the production finished up...

2 comments:

  1. Beach cruiser prices have escalated to an outrageous price these last few years and together the founders realized there had to be a way to make things more affordable.

    bicycle fender

    ReplyDelete
  2. The third-row bench seat splits in half and folds up easily against the sidewalls making a lot of space for cargo.

    largest previa dealer

    ReplyDelete